The Lovingkindness Meditation is an ancient Buddhist tradition that can be a powerful, transformative experience. In a world that is full of hostility, tension and strife, I think it’s an essential spiritual practice for everyone. You can find many versions of this meditation online, including guided imagery that takes you through the entire visualization process. Give it a try and see how it transforms the way you perceive the world around you. Blessed be!
1. Close your eyes. Sit still and upright, relaxed and alert
2. Focus on your breathing. With each exhale let your body relax more deeply.
3. When you are ready, repeat this mantra inwardly which is the traditional lovingkindness meditation:
May I be filled with lovingkindness.
May I be safe from inner and outer dangers.
May I be well in body and mind.
May I be at ease and happy.
As you say this mantra simply picture yourself as you are now, warts and all. Hold that image in a spirit of lovingkindness. Feel free to adapt the words in any way that speaks powerfully to you. Repeat the mantra over and over, letting the feelings permeate your body, mind and spirit. Practice this meditation for at least a few weeks until you feel a deep sense of lovingkindness toward yourself.
4. After you feel like you’ve achieved a stronger sense of lovingkindness toward yourself, it’s time to expand the circle. Begin your meditation by focusing the lovingkindness mantra on yourself for a few minutes. Then choose someone close to you who has had a profound and positive impact on your life. Picture them and direct this mantra toward them:
May you be filled with lovingkindness.
May you be safe from inner and outer dangers.
May you be well in body and mind.
May you be at ease and happy.
5. Where you go with this next is up to you. You can use the lovingkindness meditation to focus positive energy on someone who always seems to rub you the wrong way. Then note how your interactions with this person change after you say this lovingkindness mantra for a while.
6. You can also expand the lovingkindness circle to include your family, your neighborhood, your city, your country, and finally the world. There are infinite ways you can use this powerful meditation so experiment with it and see what works for you!
Copyright ©2016 by sabbatsandsabbaths.com